Reports to: Crisis Center Program Coordinator
Location: Opportunity to work in the Cedar Rapids office, fully remote, or hybrid
Hours: Full time
About Foundation 2 Crisis Services
Foundation 2 Crisis Services is a mission-driven, non-profit organization that provides critical crisis intervention and prevention services across Iowa. We operate a 24/7 crisis center, including phone, text, and chat services. We also operate an emergency youth shelter, mental health support groups, community-based crisis programs, training, and more. We have been saving lives for over 50 years. Join our team today!
Overview of the role
Crisis chat counselors connect with people of all ages experiencing emotional distress or mental health crises via our chat platform. You have the opportunity to provide emotional support, connect clients with resources, and make a life-changing and life-saving difference. You can expect to be contacted by people in high-risk situations who may be actively suicidal.
Our crisis center counselors answer more than 65,500 phone, chat, and text contacts per year. You can learn more about the Foundation 2 Crisis Services’ crisis center and see what clients can expect when they reach out to Foundation 2 Crisis Services on our YouTube channel.
This position has the flexibility to be on-site at the Crisis Center in Cedar Rapids or remote within the state of Iowa; candidates must live in Iowa and be available for one (1) full day of training in our Cedar Rapids office.
This full-time position covers Sunday through Wednesday from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m. (work-week ends at 8 a.m. Thursday). Occasional overtime opportunities are available.
- This position starts at $17 per hour, plus our generous benefit package of $12,000 per year. Flexible benefit dollars can be used toward medical insurance and other benefits. Funds not used for benefits will be added to your paycheck as taxable income. Learn more here.
- $1,000 sign-on bonus.
- Generous paid time off, including floating mental wellness days. Full time employees begin at four weeks paid time off per year.
- Quarterly wellness benefit reimbursements to support a sense of wellbeing.
- Two weeks of paid parental leave following the birth or adoption of a child.
- Optional pet insurance to cover emergency expenses.
- Retirement plans with Foundation 2 Crisis Services’ matching contributions.
- Go to sleep at night knowing that the work you did matters. Foundation 2 Crisis Services staff save lives every day.
Who you are
- Client-centered.You are dedicated and passionate about working with individuals in crisis. You know it is an honor to be trusted to support people at their most vulnerable.
- You understand or have the desire to understand trauma-informed care and can support people in crisis with compassion, understanding, and openness.
- Quick Thinking. You recognize that providing crisis support can be a varied and rapidly changing situation and have the skillset to adapt to new situations.
- A skilled communicator. Your words matter to individuals in crisis. You are a strong communicator and can convey important information clearly and compassionately.
What you’ll do
- Provide real-time, compassionate, non-judgmental crisis support to clients through our online chat service.
- Attend initial trainings (some will be during daytime hours) and all-staff meetings during daytime hours 1-2 times per month.
- Dispatch additional client services, such as Foundation 2 Crisis Services’ Mobile Crisis Outreach, when necessary.
- Document each chat contact to ensure quality record keeping.
What you need
- Bachelor’s degree in human service or related field with 30 hours of human service coursework OR bachelor’s degree in any field plus one year of relevant experience
- High comfort with computers with ability to type quickly and multi-task.
- Excellent writing and grammar skills.
- Reliable, high-speed internet at home (Minimum 15 Mbps download speed / 5 Mbps download speed; write internet connection required) OR the ability to work all shifts from the Cedar Rapids office.
- Pass all background checks completed by Foundation 2 Crisis Services.
- Live in Iowa.
- At least two (2) years of experience in crisis services is preferred.
- Ability to clearly communicate emotional support to people in crisis via written communication preferred.
- Background in motivational interviewing referred.
- Knowledge/experience working in the mental health, substance use, and/or problem gambling field preferred.
We’re excited to hear from you! To join the Foundation 2 Crisis Services team, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No inquiries by phone. All questions will be answered during a pre-screening phone call. Resumes, applications, and cover letter accepted until position filled.
Because Foundation 2 Crisis Services cares deeply about our employees, clients, and the communities we serve, our agency requires team members to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All newly hired team members must submit proof of the COVID-19 vaccine or have an approved medical or religious exemption to begin work at Foundation 2 Crisis Services. Proof of vaccine or completed exemption paperwork will be required on the first day of work.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Foundation 2 Crisis Services, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Foundation 2 Crisis Services is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to age, race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, political affiliation, veteran, or disability status.